6.18.2009

Nawlins

Destroyed house in the Lower Ninth Ward, 4 years after the storm.

The levee that broke and flooded the Lower Ninth.

Swampland! Alligator sight-seeing.

Sunset over the Mississippi River.

Good times -a couple daiquiris, board games, good friends, the park by the Miss River.

Music, jazz, and dancing everywhere! I loved it.

Went to New Orleans with UC Berkeley's student-led group, the Magnolia Project, for two and a half weeks to do service work and learn about the town -social injustices, the real Katrina story, and the recovery process since. It was an amazing experience -learned a lot and saw many parallels between the Lower 9th Ward and Oakland here in California. Met a ton of great people as well! both from Cal and NOLA. I wish I had gone over and done this sooner, but am glad I got to fit it in -a nice way to end my undergraduate career. New Orleans is such an amazing city with so much culture and tradition –definitely underrated, at least over here on the West Coast. I can't lie though, it's nice to be back home, even if it's just for a quick few days before I pack and head off again. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment